Live Help

Licensing Division

Business & Licensing 

Notary Public

Notary Public

Notary Public commissions are issued by Secretary of State. Start the process here to apply for a Notary Public commission to notarize documents in West Virginia.

E-Notarization is a relatively new method of notarizing documents now available.

Learn more about notary public commissioning here.

Private Investigators/Security Guards

Expedite Service

Any person or group of people performing investigative or security guard functions in the state are required to be licensed through Secretary of State.

This office maintains a registry of all state licensed private investigators and security guards.

Learn more about Private Investigator and Security Guard licensing in the section below.

Marriage Celebrants

Marriage Celebrants

All religious representatives authorized to perform marriages in West Virginia, called Marriage Celebrants, must be registered through Secretary of State.

This office maintains a database of all marriage celebrants registered in each of the 55 West Virginia counties.

See the Marriage Celebrants section below for more information.



If we may be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us:  304.558.8000   toll free 866.767.8683  email: